200g Cous Cous,
Handful of Frozen Peas,
Handful of Sweetcorn,
- Handful of Pomegranate,
1 Tsp Cumin,
1 Tsp Garam Masala,
1 Tsp Coriander,
A Few Knobs of Butter,
1. Dice Onions and Peppers
2. Fry onions in plenty butter then add cumin, coriander and garam masala.
3. Add peppers, fry for a minute, then add the rind and juice of an orange.
4. Add low salt stock and bring to the boil, simmer until peppers are soft.
5. Add frozen peas, sweetcorn and pomegranate seeds and simmer for a further couple of minutes until all vegetables are suitably cooked. (TOP TIP – at this point, the vegetables and liquid can be cooled and refrigerated/frozen until needed. Just return liquid to the boil when using)
6. Pour in couscous, stir and cover for five minutes.
7. Drop a few knobs of butter on top, fluff with a fork and serve.
Some of the Doune Terrace pre school children were showing off their balancing skills in the garden.
They worked together helping each other to stay steady.
Great team work boys and girls!
All of our nurseries are looking at the importance of mindfulness and introducing yoga and mindfulness activities at the beginning of the day and after rest/sleep time.
Studies show this should have a positive effect on the children in their learning and concentration.
For more information, please see the article below or on ‘read more’ (app users).
My name is Monique and I have been at Doune Terrace Nursery for 5 months now completing work experience.
I have loved my time here so far and have recently been employed as a full time member of staff.
I have 2 younger siblings and lots of young cousins who I enjoy looking after, and playing with.
I have enjoyed working in all of the rooms and I am excited to be part of the tweenie team full time.
4 Chicken Breasts,
1 Tbsp Butter,
2 Tsp Nigella Seeds,
2 Tbps Tikka Paste,
300ml Coconut Milk,
2 Sweet Potatoes, cubed and boiled until tender,
200g Frozen Peas,
Coriander to serve,
1. Slice the chicken into strips.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan, add the chicken and nigella seeds and cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the tikka paste, coconut milk, peas and potato and bring to the boil gently, stirring often.
4. Add the coriander and mix through.
5. Serve with rice or some yummy naan bread.
Hello, I’m Miss McKenzie.
I studied to become a teacher at the University of Dundee and have previously been teaching in a primary school 1/2 class in Fife.
I’m looking forward to starting here in Edinburgh and working with all your children.
One of our pre school mums kindly came into Doune Terrace to talk to us about Saint Lucia’s Day, a Swedish Festival.
We sang two traditional songs and learned all about Saint Lucia and her candle lit wreath.
It was exciting to hear all about another countries Christmas traditions.
Thank you so much to all the parents, family members and staff who donated gifts to the Mission Christmas appeal.
A few of our boys and girls got the chance to go along today and drop the gifts off in person.
They were so proud to help other less fortunate children have a gift to open on Christmas day and did it all with big smiles on their faces.
Well done to everyone!
1 medium onion, finely chopped,
400g potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices (about 0.5cm),
6 medium eggs, beaten,
1. Add a glug of olive oil to a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion until it’s soft and transparent. Meanwhile, parboil the potatoes until soft (This saves having to fry the potatoes for too long)
2. Switch the eggs and add the cooked onion.
3. Add more oil to the pan and cook the potatoes (in batches if necessary) until falling apart.
4. Add the cooked potatoes to the egg mixture.
5. Add more oil to the pan if required and pour the egg/onion/potato mixture back into the frying pan.
5. Allow to cook until its about 2/3 set
6. This is now the tricky bit! Flip to omelette onto a flat board and immediately slide it back into the frying pan, trying to contain as much of the egg liquid as possible. Normally, a Spanish Omelette would be slightly runny in the middle, but for children, ensure the egg is cooked thoroughly before serving.
7. Serve with a crisp salad.